The Graessle family legal roots in Florida run deep. William S. Graessle is a third-generation University of Florida College of Law graduate and Florida lawyer, and the first “Gator lawyer” who is the child of two “Gator lawyers.” Jonathan W. Graessle is a fourth-generation University of Florida College of Law graduate and Florida Lawyer. William S. Graessle’s maternal grandfather, O.S. Thacker, practiced law in Kissimmee, Florida following his graduation from the University of Florida College of Law in 1927 until his death in 1975. His mother, Lois Thacker Graessle, and his father, Judge Albert W. Graessle, Jr., met in law school at the University of Florida and married after graduating in June 1941. Lois Graessle became one of Florida’s first 150 women lawyers. Despite being well- qualified, she could not obtain a job as an attorney because of her gender. Instead, she became an advocate for social justice and was awarded the Florida Bar Foundation’s Medal of Honor Award in 2003 for a life of advocacy on behalf of the most vulnerable members of society. His father, Judge Graessle, interrupted his private law practice in Jacksonville to serve in the U.S. Navy during World War II. Prior to his appointment as a judge, he served as President of the Jacksonville Bar Association from 1951-1952 and on the Florida Bar Board of Governors. Governor Leroy Collins appointed him as a Circuit Court Judge of the Fourth Judicial Circuit in 1956, a position in which he served until his retirement in 1978.
Our offices are located on the fourth floor of the historic Old Morocco Building, 219 Newnan Street, in downtown Jacksonville. Henry John Klutho, the most accomplished, innovative, and well known architect to design buildings in Jacksonville, completed the quintessential Egyptian Revival style building in 1910. Mr. Klutho, influenced by Frank Lloyd Wright, came to Jacksonville shortly after the Great Fire of 1901 and designed many of downtown Jacksonville’s most well known and architecturally significant structures: the St. James Building (City Hall), The Laura Street Trio (the Florida Life Building , the Marble Bank , and the Bisbee Building), and the Old Jacksonville Free Public Library (the Bedell Building). It has been listed on the National Registry of Historic Places for over thirty five years.
First used as a Shriner temple (where Oliver Hardy was once a member), it was Jacksonville’s main auditorium until construction of the Florida Theater in 1927. Its stage featured performances from stars such as Shirley Temple, and both Presidents William Howard Taft and Teddy Roosevelt spoke on its stage.
We have practiced in our location for nearly twenty years and are proud of our continuing commitment to downtown Jacksonville and our city’s storied history.